Monday, May 30, 2011

Raw Vegan Brownies - Say What?!

If someone would have told me two years ago that I would be making and consuming vegan food, I would have laughed.  If they would have said I would be making and consuming RAW vegan food, I would have laughed more.  I certainly have changed.... Thank goodness.


Why RAW?  I have noticed that I quite often get really sleepy after eating cooked food. Raw food does not make me sleepy or tired at all, and it also retains more nutrients.  


I wouldn't believe these were raw or vegan if someone fed them to me.  Be daring and try it.
 Smitten

They are so simple, but absolutely delicious. Rich and decadent. Better than cooked brownies. I am in awe.


I found this recipe on VegWeb, here.  I'm pasting it below, and then I'm posting my alterations after that.


Raw Brownies!
Recipe submitted by aigroc, 01/26/09
Ingredients (use vegan versions):

    1 cup ground pecans
    1 cup dates (not soaked)
    1/4 heaping cup cocao powder 
    1 heaping teaspoon agave nectar

    Icing:
    1 tablespoon coconut oil or coconut butter
    1 tablespoon avocado (optional)
    1 tablespoon agave
    1/2 tablespoon cocao powder

Directions:

1) Process the brownie ingredients. Press into a pan or bowl.

2) Now process icing ingredients. If you use the coconut oil right out of the jar (firm) it should get very creamy in your food processor. If you do it by hand, warm up the oil jar in a bowl of water and use it in liquid form.

3) Spread frosting onto brownies and refrigerate for at least ten minutes. Slice and enjoy!

Source of recipe: I came up with this recipe after a few tries.

Makes: 2 to 4 servings, Preparation time: 20 minutes

I used.... 

  • 1/2 cup of pecans
  • 1/4 cup hazelnut meal
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/8 cup of flax meal
  • 2 tablespoons agave
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
I also doubled the glaze.


Refrigerate. 
I'm in love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment