Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Raw day.

My diet over the past few days has been abysmal.  All the reminder that staying on top of the grocery shopping is essential to eating well.  Once the fresh produce and mylks are gone, it's a downward spiral to carb hell.  Nothing good can come of foraging the lazy susan, which is packed with baking essentials.  This has been going on since last Thursday, which I decided to make vegan cup cakes and espresso icing, then thought it would be a good idea to start making one of them topped with vanilla soy ice cream my "midnight hot fudge cake" snack. Also, we'll throw in the double batch of blueberry and pecan whole wheat pancakes I made on Thursday night for good measure.

Today, I am repenting.   My awesome friend Shelley turned me on to this amazing blog called "Raw on $10 a day (or less)".  http://rawon10.blogspot.com  Shelley made the Breakfast Chia Porridge and facebooked me her pics.  So I whipped up a batch this morning for me and the hottie.  I did not use raisins, and used pecans instead of walnuts.  This is husband approved. I also love how this blog tells you the number of calories and how much it costs to make this stuff. Brilliant.

http://rawon10.blogspot.com/2011/05/may-15-2011.html


Breakfast
Chia Porridge
serves 1 ~ $1.75 per serving

4 tablespoons chia ($.80)
1/2 cup water
1/2 apple, chopped ($.30)
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped ($.25)
2 tablespoons raisins ($.20)
 1 tablespoon agave ($.20)
pinch cinnamon

This is super quick and super easy, and it tastes pretty good, too.

In a bowl, stir together the ground chia seeds and water. Let stand for a few minutes so it can gel. Add the chopped apple, chopped walnut, and raisins. Top with the agave and add a pinch of cinnamon, if desired.

calories: 341
fat: 18 gr
carbs: 57 gr
protein: 7 gr



I also made this for dinner.  One exception.... I boiled the quinoa flakes as directed, then added all the ingredients.  I did not microwave this, because I'm trying to eat very little cooked/dead food today.  Here's the link to the site. Haven't had a chance to look at this blog much as of yet, but it looks really nice.  http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/04/cinnibun-oat-streusel-muffins/


5 minute Strawberry Quinoa Flake Bake

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free
The ingredients are easy, the preparation is simple, and the taste is out of this world! Not only will it satisfy your sweet cravings, it will keep you full for hours!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup strawberry pulp – about 6-8 strawberries ran through your blender, no water needed!
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1 tbsp coconut sugar – brown sugar, or sucanat would work great too!
  • 1 tbsp of chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Optional toppings: cocoalmond mania butter, raisins, coconut, granola, more coconut, maple syrup, yacon syrup…

Directions

  1. Prepare a 16oz. microwave safe dish by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside.
  2. Drop all ingredients in a small bowl and mixing until fully incorporated.
  3. Press mixture into prepare dish and even out with fork. Place in the microwave and cook for 3 1/2 – 4 minutes. You’ll know when it’s done when it rises slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the sides of the dish.
  4. Allow to rest for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate [or leave in the dish like the picture above]
Makes 1 breakfast bake.


Finally, I made this.  It's amazing, and so filling.  The blog author says it feeds 2, but I believe it feeds 4.  After eating this, I feel completely high!

http://rawon10.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-05-02T08%3A21%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=7#uds-search-results


Sweet 'n Creamy Tomato Soup
serve 2 ~ $2.89 per serving

4 tomatoes, chopped ($4.00)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped ($.30) 
1 avocado, chopped ($.88)
1 tablespoon chopped onion 
2 tablespoons olive oil ($.20)
2 tablespoons agave ($.40) 
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes
agave 

I still had frozen tomatoes from last year, so that's what I used for this soup. The agave adds some really nice sweetness.

In a blender, puree the tomatoes, carrots, avocado, onion, olive oil, and agave, until very smooth. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and a drizzle of agave if desired.


So, that's it for today.  I feel energetic and light.  Time to help my husband hang some drywall.

No comments:

Post a Comment